SINCE Mrs Hinch shot to fame, Zoflora disinfectant has become a must-have cleaning product among her fans.
But although the multipurpose product can make your home smell heavenly, it contains some very powerful chemicals – including benzalkonium chloride which can be poisonous to dogs.
Dog owner Donna Brydon shared an emotional warning after her 12 week old puppy’s eyes swelled up after coming into contact with Zoflora[/caption]
Dog owner Donna Brydon shared an emotional post on Facebook earlier this week after her 12-week old King Charles spaniel Skye had a life-threatening reaction to Zoflora.
Posting a photo of her dog’s incredibly swollen eyes, Donna wrote: “I thought my poor furbaby was on her way out.
“She was so sleepy and her eyes swelled up. Straight to the vet and this was the answer.”
Donna had taken Skye over to her friend Amanda’s house after she’d washed her floor with Zoflora – not knowing that it can be harmful to animals.
Zoflora products contain the chemical benzalkonium chloride which can be poisonous to dogs [/caption]
The dog owner continued: “Thankfully the medication the vet gave her made her feel so much better – love her wee face so much.”
Last month, the Veterinary Poisons Information Service – a 24-hour helpline for owners who suspect their furry friends may have been poisoned – says it’s received hundreds of complaints from owners’ whose pets have come into contact with the disinfectant
It says the problem is that Zoflora products contain a chemical called benzalkonium chloride that can cause ulcers and loss of appetite if your pets accidentally touch or eat it.
Nicola Robinson, a vet and head of service at the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, told The Sun: “Zoflora contains a detergent called benzalkonium chloride which is particularly toxic in cats and can cause oral and tongue ulceration, hypersalivation and inappetence.
“Cats roam between houses and therefore it is hard to keep them away from this product when it is often used to clean patios but owners need to be aware of the risks to animals.
The disinfectant has become a cult favourite cleaning product thanks to Mrs Hinch[/caption]
“They usually lick their paws if they have walked on freshly cleaned floors which then leads to signs of toxicity.
“Our advice is to use more natural products if you have pets or if your pet has been exposed to something which is potentially harmful to call Animal PoisonLine (01202 509000) for advice as to what you need to do.”
Zoflora’s website confirms that the “active ingredient” in its products is benzalkonium chloride.
But it states that its products are safe to use around animals as long as you let the disinfected area dry before letting pets come into contact with it.
It says the only scenario where its disinfectant shouldn’t be used is for housing where reptiles are kept.
What should you do if your pet has a reaction to Zoflora and how can you avoid it?
- Zoflora contains a chemical called benzalkonium chloride that can cause ulcers and loss of appetite if your pets accidentally touch or eat it
- If you’re using it to wash your floors, wait until it’s fully dried before letting your pets walk over it
- If your pet has developed swollen eyes of ulcers on their tongue, take them to the vet immediately
- Other symptoms include losing their appetite and excessive amounts of saliva
A spokeswoman for Zoflora said: “Zoflora has been used safely in households for almost 100 years, including those with pets in the home.
“Zoflora’s products have been fully risked assessed by leading scientists at Exponent International, a long-established, independent consultancy company with expertise in all aspects of Biocidal Products Regulation and safety.
“The risk assessments conducted do not indicate a concern when the product is used in accordance with the on pack usage directions.
“As with all disinfectants and other household chemicals, ensure that Zoflora is used safely. When correctly diluted, Zoflora disinfectant may be used where most pets are kept.”
This content was originally published here.