11 Creative Ways to Write About Character
The qualities that are used in describing an individual are character. Often times, we hear people say, that woman is this or that. The words that are employed in picturing you by others reflect your character or your personality. You either have a good character or a bad one. Experience has shown that even the so called bad people with bad characters appreciate good characters and deeds. Here are some ways character can be described:
- Character is consideration. The tenderness shown to others at the detriment of one’s comfort portrays a character. If you consider others before yourself that is good character and if you put yourself first before others that is selfishness and it is bad.
- Character is the compassion shown to strangers when no one is around to praise and reward you. People that display good characters don’t bother for publicity and applause. It is rather an innate thing.
- Character is the habit of combining humour with honesty. Most humorous people are termed unserious and cheat because they are smart enough to sway others for their selfish gains but with the combination of honesty, it is a good character.
- Character is that aura of confidence displayed unconsciously both in the public or private. This virtue comes naturally unlike people who are good in A and bad in B. Character is the fruit that comes out the same to different people at different times.
- Character is a sense of responsibility that is displayed with respect and humility. A good character does not show off its talents. Rather, the talents show it off. Responsibility is discharge with a good sense of dutifulness instead of reward or gain.
- Character is the attitude of ability coupled with flexibility. This is a rare combination as most people ability with rigidity in coded symbols. They are not easily interpreted and understood. A good character is endowed with lots of ability which is expressed with flexibility.
- Character is having a sense of citizenship. Patriotism, loyalty and responsibility are closely related together. A citizen is loyal and discharges duty with good sense of responsibility. Character seeks the development of a nation and not her ruin. This is shown either at home or abroad.
- Character is trustworthiness. The ability to be honest, even in seemingly difficult situations that warrant corruption, is character. Only few people can be trusted with financial commitments.
- Character is an attractive personality that has a magnetic force. This personality is appreciated and sought for by everyone. But, only very few people have it because it is not learnt but innate. Anyone can decide to turn a new leaf at some point in time to have a change of behaviour. In this case this inner force is transferred to that that person but it can’t be faked.
- Character is having a good reputation and outstanding record of good performance in interpersonal relationship. Character is useless on its own without relating with others because your character is judged and assessed by the people you relate with.
- Character is an emotional balance in time of provocation.
A Selection of Character Quotes
“Character is like a tree and reputation is like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
“Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right path, the the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands.” ~ Anne Frank
“The essential thing is not knowledge, but character.” ~ Joseph Le Conte
“The great hope of society is individual character.”
~ William Ellery Channing
“A good name will shine forever.” ~ Proverb
“A fair reputation is a plant, delicate in its nature, and by no means rapid in its growth. It will not shoot up in a night like the gourd of the prophet; but, like that gourd, it may perish in a night.”
~ Jeremy Taylor
Feel free to copy and share this but include the entire article and reference back to this site thanks.