10 Quick Tips About Customer Service
Customer service is the type of service provided to customers before, during and after a product has been purchased. It is different categories of activities that are put in place to ensure some levels satisfaction of customers. Employees have more responsibilities here depending on the size of the company or industry. Where customers have direct interaction with the employer, at his level, he is expected to ensure cordial relationship with his customers through effective communication. In larger organizations, employees are vested with the task of customer service. Here are some tips about customer service.
- It is very essential to give a customer a warm welcome with a broad and sincere smile. Goodbye can also be said with a smile leaving the customer elated throughout the day.
- It is advisable to render customer service with some degree of courtesy by using formal expressions and greetings. Rudeness does not help any business not even in real life interaction is it accepted.
- Customer service entails politeness. You should not shout on any customer irrespective of his/her age. It is a bad behaviour to be pompous before your customers.
- Customers first. One of the priorities of customer service agent is the customer before him/her. Every other thing should be secondary. Personal phone calls and needs can wait till customers have been duly attended to.
- Be professional. It is very wrong to discuss a customer before another customer or to discuss a customer with a colleague when the customer is within earshot. For efficient customer service, there is need for professionalism.
- Provide unavailable products. It will be an act of unseriousness for a customer service provider to tell a customer that a product has finished. When a product is out of stock, the available option is to check other stores or order for it.
- Surprise package. Effective customer service should entail some forms of surprises for its customers. This can be during festive periods or after a product has been purchased. Some organizations attach some freebies to whatever customers have purchased. This could also be in form of follow up messages that are employed to thank the customers for patronising your business.
- Credence to customers’ complaints. It is essential for effective customer service that complaints from customers are taken with all seriousness and not with levity. They are always right and should be treated as such.
- Customers’ details such as phone number and emails can be collected and recorded for future communications. This entails sending messages from time to time. Apart from enhancing a strong relationship between the organization and its customer, it could be used as a form of advertisement when new stocks arrive. For online transactions, customers should be updated regularly about the progress of their order. There should be free flow of communication.
- Proper packaging. Purchased products should be well labelled and packaged for easy identification especially in online transactions. Products should be inspected thoroughly to ensure customers are not given wrong or damaged items.
Effective customer service is one of the essential ingredients of business growth and expansion in many countries today.
A Selection of Customer Service Quotes
“I am wired like a CEO and care a great deal about the bottom line, but I care about my customers even more than that. That’s always been my competitive advantage.”
~ Gary Vaynerchuk, Author “The Thank You Economy”
“If we can keep our competitors focused on us while we stay focused on the customer, ultimately we’ll turn out all right.”
~ Jeff Bezos, Founder Amazon
“Well done is better than well said.”
~ Benjamin Franklin
“Whatever you are, be a good one.”
~ Abraham Lincoln
“Always do more than is required of you.”
~George S. Patton
“The time is always right to do what is right.”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Although your customers won’t love you if you give bad service, your competitors will.”
~Kate Zabriskie, Founder Business Training Works
“Ask your customers to be part of the solution, and don’t view them as part of the problem. ”
~ Alan Weiss, Author “Million Dollar Consulting”
“Repeat business or behavior can be bribed. Loyalty has to be earned.”
~ Janet Robinson, Former President and CEO of The New York Times Company
“Memorable customer service can only take place in a human-to-human situation.”
~ Jeffrey Gitomer, Author and Professional Speaker
“A customer service apology is stronger with a personal touch.”
~ Shep Hyken, Author and Customer Service Speaker
“No amount of advertising can repair the damage done by failing to properly address a customer’s concern.”
~ Albert Schindler, Freelance Writer
“While automation can be expedient, the resulting impersonal tone and risk of poor information are formidable — most importantly, merchants are missing an opportune moment to connect with current and prospective customers.”
~ Annual Mystery Shopping Study by The E-tailing Group, 2010
“People now expect the same—if not better—level of service from online storefronts and service channels as they do from a visit to a retail store or a phone conversation with an agent.”
“Email Customer Service in North American Small and Medium Businesses” by BenchmarkPortal
“The handful of companies that respond promptly and accurately to customer emails increase trust in their brand, bolster customer satisfaction, and boost sales both online and offline.”
~ Call Center Industry Report, BenchmarkPortal
“Smart businesses should come to realize that the customer service bar is lower — and that today, it’s easier than ever to differentiate your company from the pack with (crazy as it seems) actual quality customer service.”
~ Brad Tuttle, Writer Time Magazine
“You can close more business in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.”
~ Dale Carnegie, Best Selling Author
“The rise of the citizen review site is a sobering development. No longer are you on top of the mountain, blasting your marketing message down to the masses through your megaphone. All of a sudden, the masses are conversing with one another. If your service or product isn’t any good, they’ll out you.”
~ David Pogue, New York Times Technology Columnist
“In the world of Internet Customer Service, it’s important to remember your competitor is only one mouse click away.”
~ Doug Warner, Internet Enthusiast
“There’s a place in the world for any business that takes care of its customers–after the sale.”
~ Harvey Mackay, Best Selling Author
“One customer well taken care of could be more valuable than $10,000 worth of advertising.”
~ Jim Rohn, Author, Motivational Speaker
* Quotes above sourced from Help Scout
Feel free to copy and share this but include the entire article and reference back to this site thanks.